In general, the Club Permit Scheme applies to vehicles 25 years and older with a rolling 25 year year cutoff.

In summary, the CPS requires that :

- The holder is a financial member of a club,
- The vehicle is safe and roadworthy,
- The vehicle is not used for commercial purposes
- A logbook entry is made if the vehicle moves more than 100 metres from the vehicle's garage address.

Given the significant benefits and modest fees, users of the scheme must consider it a privilege rather than a right. Abuse of the scheme could result in far reaching implications to the individual, their club and the Permit Scheme in general, such as:

  • Fines for driving an unregistered vehicle, or
  • Loss of your individual Club Permit, or
  • Loss of your club's authority to operate the Club Permit Scheme, or
  • Cancellation of the Club Permit Scheme for all enthusiasts.

Note a "day" in a logbook entry is from 12 midnight to 12 midnight.

Correspondence with VicRoads on the CPS should be addressed:

Club Permit Scheme
P.O. Box 1644

Club Permit Scheme - FAQs

Updated June 2017

Additional Questions and Answers added since publication of the AOMC Club Permit Scheme Handbook (October 2015) are indicated. An amendment sheet that may inserted in your Handbook can be downloaded here.

The following questions and answers have been prepared by the AOMC Executive from issues and questions raised in general forum with Victoria Police and VicRoads over a long period..

The Club Permit Scheme is administered by VicRoads under the VicRoads Business Rules. Victoria Police ensures compliance with the scheme.

Some issues of the Scheme may not be specifically addressed in the Regulations and VicRoads Business Rules and so may be open to interpretation".

As a consequence, where the interpretation is unclear, the AOMC recommends that the permit holder take a conservative position !!

Amendments and additions to the CPS Handbook of October 2015

Q.61  I am attending a club rally over a few days.  Can I pre-fill some entries in my CPS log book to cover the period of the rally? 

A. No. Regulation 157(6) of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 does not allow permit holders to complete or partially complete entries in a log book which relate to a future day.  This means, no entry can be made relating to a day other than the current day of use.  Completion of a future date entry (full entry or partial) constitutes a breach of the log book obligations established by Regulation 157 and could be considered a breach of club permit conditions (regulation 157A).  It should be noted that if a breach of log book conditions occurs, VicRoads could suspend the permit (reg. 157E (b)) on the grounds that a log book condition has not been complied with.     (Added April 2016)

Left Hand Drive vehicles

Updated 21.2.12

(To be read in conjunction with the AOMC Handbook ‘The CLUB PERMIT LOGBOOK SCHEME (Victoria)’)

Left Hand Drive vehicles more than 25 years old may be issued with a Club Permit.

The vehicles must comply as set out in the Club Permit Logbook Scheme Handbook PLUS additional requirements as below:

Only clubs that are approved by VicRoads are permitted to authorise applications for club permits for left hand drive vehicles.

  • Provided they have NOT been MODIFIED. (If modified, an Engineer's Report* may be required).
  • If the left hand drive vehicle does not have all required lamps, (including dipping headlights suitable for right hand drive vehicles) it cannot be used at night.
  • Left hand drive vehicles that are approved for Club Permits may be used as for right hand drive vehicles as described in the Handbook:

Failure to comply with the Rules of the Club Permit Scheme could result in:

  1. A fine for driving an unregistered vehicle, or
  2. Loss of the individual Club Permit, or
  3. Loss of the Club’s authority to operate the Club Permit Scheme, or
  4. Cancellation of the Club Permit Scheme for all enthusiasts.

To obtain a Club Permit for a Left Hand Drive Vehicle.

You will require:

  • a club permit application form from VicRoads,
  • a vehicle inspection report from your authorised club, OR
  • a current Road Worthy Certificate, and
  • an endorsement from your club stating that you are a paid up member of the club - (this is on the permit application form).

Allow plenty of time to process the application – most Club Officials are volunteers.

Talk to the Club Permit Officer at your club to obtain details of your Club's requirements.

* An approval certificate issued by a member of the Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) on the conversion

For further information refer to Vehicle Standards Information sheet #18 at